Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Five-score Feasibly Fantastic Flicks

Time magazine has come out with their list of the 100 all-time best movies. Now normally I can look at a list like this one, say the American Film Institute list from a few years back and say, yep, I've seen most of those and heard of the rest.

Not with the Time list. I've never heard of at least half of those movies. The ones I'm at a loss for seem to all be foreign films, which explains a lot. I can't say I've ever seen the Greek equivalent of Casablanca.

But you know what? I'm not going to make fun of Time's list. For all I know, those movies would blow me away if I ever got to see them. The question is whether or not I'd be willing to make the time and effort, because frankly, if it comes down to watching Hoosiers for the fiftieth time or taking a chance on Ugetsu, "a magnificent war film and a parable of careless love," I'm sorry, but Gene Hackman is going to win that battle for my 90 minutes of leisure everytime. With so many hours in the day and days in the year, sometimes you have to go with a sure thing and just run the picket fence at 'em.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home