Thursday, March 02, 2006

Back In White

So I got a phone call at about 5:20 a.m. this morning. Normally that's a bad sign in a good way. What I mean is that almost surely indicates that it has snowed overnight and that there's a two-hour delay to the start of school.

Well, it got even better. Got a call a bit later saying school had been canceled for the whole day. Yippie, right? Well, no. Teachers are still expected to show up to work so we can earn our pay minus the students. Basically you are expected to risk life and limb to sit in an empty classroom, though you can wait as long as you need to before heading out if you think it's unsafe. Technically I suppose you could show up at 2:45 p.m., touch base, and then head back home.

So I was going to wait my fair share this morning because, frankly, I enjoy driving on snow about as much as Bush enjoys press conferences. But then I got another call saying that our principal has let it be known that you really don't have to come in today because it is just that bad up around the school. Here in Miesau there's about two inches or so of snow out there (here's my street this morning and the backyard), but it is still snowing. Baumholder apparently has six or more inches and it's still snowing.

Bottom line: I'll be awfully disappointed in myself if my car moves even one foot today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home